Recalls, Reports and Lawsuits
SSRI Birth DefectSSRI Birth Defect Lawsuits:
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are antidepressants prescriptions for treatment of depression, anxiety disorders, panic attacks and personality disorders. When a pregnant woman chooses to take SSRIs to combat depression, it increases the risk of having one of more birth defects.What are SSRIs?
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are considered third-generation antidepressants that are responsible for increasing the chemical serotonin in the brain to regulate mood balance. The mood-enhancing chemical serotonin is naturally produced by the body but it has to be kept at a certain level. SSRIs work by blocking (inhibiting) a brain receptor that reabsorbs (reuptake) serotonin.Why File a SSRI Birth Defect Lawsuit?
The FDA gave a “C” grade classification for SSRI which means they cause harm or danger to animals when taken in large doses. Drug testing on a human baby is both illegal and unethical, making its side effects to unborn humans still unknown. Today, more and more studies prove that SSRIs have significant connection with serious birth defects when the drugs are taken during pregnancy.
- Pfizer is currently facing hundreds of birth defect lawsuits because its SSRI drug Zoloft has been linked to a number of birth defects including persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn (PPHN).
- Thousands of Prozac lawsuits were already filed against its manufacturer Eli Lilly & Co. claiming that the SSRI drug caused birth defects such as anencephaly, a fatal defect in the neural tube.
- In 2009, a Philadelphia jury ordered GlaxoSmithKline to pay $2.5 million settlement to three-year-old Lyam Kilker and his family for birth defects caused by Paxil.
- Hypoplastic right heart (underdeveloped right side of the infant’s heart)
- Hypoplastic left heart (underdeveloped right side of the infant’s heart)
- Tetrology of fallot (causes low oxygen levels in the blood)
- Septal defect (hole in the heart)
- Club foot (congenital deformity involving one foot or both)
- Cleft palate (tissues in the baby's face and mouth don't form properly)
- Spina bifida (spinal cord and backbone do not close or develop properly)
- If you are experiencing physical, mental and emotional distress from caring for your baby who is suffering from birth effects caused by SSRIs.
- If you are burdened by the cost of medical bills and continuing care for your child caused by SSRIs.
- If you want to hold SSRI manufacturers accountable for releasing such a dangerous drug.
If you or someone you love is taking SSRIs during pregnancy, your baby may be at risk for life-threatening and costly birth effects. Jami S. Oliver is a leading Columbus Ohio defective product attorney who can help you in getting the full compensation and rightful justice you deserve. She will carefully evaluate your case and explain the legal options open to you.
Contact Oliver Law Office at (614)220-9100 or fill out the online form immediately to make certain that you do not relinquish your right to potential compensation.