Recalls, Reports and Lawsuits
Talcum Powder and Ovarian CancerTalcum Powder Lawsuits:
Talcum powder is a soft, white powder made from talc, a mineral made up mainly of the elements magnesium, silicon, and oxygen. When it is finely ground, talc absorbs moisture well and helps cut down on friction, making it a popular component in feminine hygiene products. However, new research links talc to ovarian cancer, and lawsuits have been filed against Johnson & Johnson because of it.What is Talcum Powder?
Talc is a mineral comprised primarily of magnesium, silicon, and oxygen and is widely used as a common ingredient in cosmetics, personal hygiene products and many other common consumer goods. As a powder, talc can absorb moisture and reduce friction which helps keep skin dry, cool and comfortable. Throughout the years, women use products containing talc to dust their private parts, underwear and sanitary napkin because it was a practice associated with freshness and cleanliness. Talcum powder is also believed to prevent vaginal odor.Why File an Actos Lawsuit?
Evidences linking application of talcum powder to female genitalia and ovarian cancer first emerged in the 1970s. Talcum powder can travel through the vagina and into the uterus and along the fallopian tubes to the ovaries. It can cause inflammation and can take years to dissolve. But these findings did not stop Johnson & Johnson and talc mining companies from marketing their dangerous product to the public without restriction or warnings of any kind. In 2013, Johnson & Johnson lost the first talcum powder ovarian cancer lawsuit.
Not unless symptoms begin to appear, ovarian cancer is difficult to diagnose. Once these symptoms are present, it is likely that the cancer has already spread. Other complications associated with Talcum powder:
- Lung cancer and other respiratory diseases
- Urinary symptoms
- Pelvic pain
- Endometrial (uterine) cancer in women who are past menopause
- If you experienced financial hardship through the utilization of health care facilities, ongoing care or prescription medications; and loss of earnings and/or earning capacity.
- If you are experiencing physical, mental and emotional distress from caring for a loved one who is suffering from life-threatening complications caused by Talcum powder.
- If you are burdened by the loss of spousal consortium due to health complications caused by Talcum powder.
- If you want to hold Johnson & Johnson responsible for the distribution of such a dangerous product.
If you or someone you love was diagnosed with ovarian cancer or another serious problem after using talcum powder, Oliver Law Office can help. Jami S. Oliver is a leading Columbus Ohio defective product attorney who can help you in getting the full compensation and rightful justice you deserve. She will carefully evaluate your case and explain the legal options open to you.
Contact Oliver Law Office at (614)220-9100 or fill out the online form immediately to make certain that you do not relinquish your right to potential compensation.