Recalls, Reports and Lawsuits
Risperdal (generic name Risperidone) is an antipsychotic medicine used for treatment of schizophrenia and symptoms of bipolar disorder as well as symptoms of irritability in children with autism.What is Risperdal?
Marketed as powerful second-generation antipsychotics, Risperdal was FDA-approved in 1993 to treat schizophrenia. It restores the balance of certain natural substances in the brain, most specifically serotonin and dopamine. Unfortunately, what makes Risperdal work more effectively than traditional antipsychotics at reducing symptoms of schizophrenia is also the same reason for a number of health complications.Why File a Risperdal Lawsuit?
After getting FDA approval in 1993, Risperdal has been heavily marketed by Janssen Pharmaceuticals (a subsidiary of healthcare giant Johnson & Johnson) for the treatment of schizophrenia and acute mania, or mixed episodes of bipolar disorders. The drug is also used in an “off label” capacity to treat depression, anxiety, autism and attention deficit disorder (ADD) in children despite getting FDA rejection for its pediatric application in 1996.
- In 2009, Risperdal has been linked to gynecomastia (male breast growth) in boys under 18. These boys with Risperdal-associated gynecomastia must undergo breast reduction surgery, and even mastectomy, to correct the condition.
- There are 31 deaths associated with Risperdal use as a chemical restraint in children in the foster care system between 1993 and 2008.
- In 2013, J&J’s Janssen division agreed to pay over $2.2 billion in criminal and civil fines for improper promotion of Risperdal to older adults, children and people with developmental disabilities.
Here are some of the signs or symptoms associated with Risperdal medication:
- Pituitary disturbance leading to premature development of breasts in girls and galactorrhea (milky nipple discharge not associated with breastfeeding)
- Gynecomastia (development of breast tissue in males)
- Priapism (prolonged penile erection)
- Uncontrolled muscle movements in your face
- Increased risk of sudden death from heart attack
- If you experienced financial hardship through the utilization of health care facilities, diagnostic procedures and chemotherapy; and loss of earnings and/or earning capacity.
- If you are experiencing physical, mental and emotional distress from caring for a loved one who is suffering from medical problems caused by Risperdal medication.
- If you want to hold manufacturers accountable for the distribution of such a dangerous drug.
If you or a loved one was affected by gynecomastia or any of the other dangerous side effects of Risperdal, Oliver Law Office can help. Jami S. Oliver is a leading Columbus Ohio defective product attorney who can help you in getting the full compensation and rightful justice you deserve. She will carefully evaluate your case and explain the legal options open to you.
Contact Oliver Law Office at (614)220-9100 or fill out the online form immediately to make certain that you do not relinquish your right to potential compensation.