Recalls, Reports and Lawsuits
Johnson & Johnson MorcellatorJohnson & Johnson Morcellator Lawsuits:
Power morcellators are surgical tools used for the removal of noncancerous fibroid growths during a hysterectomy or a myomectomy as well as certain liver and spleen surgeries. Unfortunately, recent medical evidence shows that power morcellators, most specifically the ones distributed by Johnson & Johnson, are not 100 percent effective in the removal of broken up fibroids and tissues, leading to further development of cancerous tumors.What are Johnson & Johnson power morcellators?
Johnson & Johnson power morcellators are medical devices that break large tissue masses into small fragments during a hysterectomy or a myomectomy. Doctors insert these devices through small incisions to cut and shred tissues. Broken down tissues are then vacuumed away and out of the body. Using a power morcellator during a surgical procedure allows the surgeon to make smaller incisions within the body, leading to fewer wound complications, less post-operative pain and quicker patient recoveries.Why File a Johnson & Johnson power morcellator Lawsuit?
In April 2014, the FDA warned surgeons against using power morcellators for the removal of uterine fibroids because of the risk of spreading cancerous tissues throughout the abdominal cavity. Shortly after, three laparoscopic power morcellators – the Gynecare Morcellex, the Morcellex Sigma and the Gynecare X-Tract – by Johnson & Johnson Ethicon division were voluntarily withdrawn from the market because the risks and benefits of using the device in hysterectomies and myomectomies remain uncertain.
Here are some complications associated with Johnson & Johnson power morcellator used during laparoscopic or robotic-assisted operations:
- Development of metastatic leiomyosarcoma, a type of uterine cancer, in women
- Adherence of bits of leftover tissues to other tissues and organs, causing pain, infection or bowel obstruction
- Dissemination of broken-up tissues to abdominal structures and organs, resulting in conditions such as fibroids, adenomyosis and endometriosis, which may require further surgery
- If you experienced financial hardship through the utilization of health care facilities, diagnostic procedures and chemotherapy; and loss of earnings and/or earning capacity.
- If you are experiencing physical, mental and emotional distress from caring for a loved one who is suffering from medical problems caused by Johnson & Johnson power morcellation.
- If you are burdened by the loss of spousal consortium due to deadly risks caused by Johnson & Johnson power morcellation.
- If you want to hold Johnson & Johnson accountable for the distribution of such a defective product.
If you or a loved one experienced an early failure of your knee implant, your knee implant may have been recalled. Jami S. Oliver is a leading Columbus Ohio defective product attorney who can help you in getting the full compensation and rightful justice you deserve. She will carefully evaluate your case and explain the legal options open to you.
Contact Oliver Law Office at (614)220-9100 or fill out the online form immediately to make certain that you do not relinquish your right to potential compensation.